When Do Small Businesses Need an Attorney?
If you have a small business in DuPage County or are considering starting your own business, why do you need to have a lawyer? A DuPage County business law attorney can consult on a wide variety of issues that your small business might face. While there are many aspects of running a small business that you may be able to handle on your own, it is important to have experienced counsel who can guide you through the issues you are likely to face as a small business owner.
Why Do I Need to Work with a Small Business Lawyer?
There are many aspects of running a small business that you can handle on your own. For instance, choosing a name for your business and even developing a business plan may be relatively easy for you to manage, especially if you have experience in business. However, there are many issues for which it is important to be able to consult with a DuPage County business law attorney. At Farooqi & Husain Law Office, we regularly consult with small business owners on some of the following issues:
- Structuring your business: Whether you are just starting out or are thinking about changing the structure of your business, we can help you to assess the pros and cons of each. For example, is a sole proprietorship the right option for you? Or should you be thinking about the benefits of a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or a corporation? The U.S. Small Business Administration provides helpful background information into business structures, and we can assist you as you structure or restructure your company.
- Business strategy and management: We can help you to develop or revise your business plan, and to think carefully about business management in terms of profits and losses, as well as employee hiring and firing.
- Contracts: Developing employment contracts for new employees or contracts with customers, creating buy-sell agreements, and advocating for you in the event of a contract dispute.
- Tax issues: We can help you to apply for your employer identification number (EIN), to handle tax matters related to employee hiring, submitting proper documentation to the IRS, handling your tax questions at the end of the year, and handling IRS audits.
- Employment discrimination: it is important to take steps to ensure that you are in compliance with all Illinois state and federal employment discrimination laws from the start, and in the event an employee alleges discrimination, we can assist with your case.
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) requirements: Depending upon the size of your small business, you will be required to take specific steps in order to be in compliance with OSHA regulations. If you have more than 10 employees, you are also required to maintain OSHA injury and illness records. While employees must be careful on the job, employers are required by law to take certain steps to ensure that employees are safe and healthy at their places of employment.
Contact a Small Business Lawyer in DuPage County
At Farooqi & Husain Law Office, we are committed to helping small business owners in the Muslim community. We want to see your small business thrive. A passionate DuPage County business lawyer at our firm can speak with you today about small business consulting. Contact Farooqi & Husain Law Office for more information about how we can assist you with your small business needs.