How Do I Choose the Best Divorce Attorney?
When you are considering divorce or already have filed for divorce in DuPage County, you should be thinking about hiring a divorce attorney who can assist with your case. Divorce law in Illinois is complicated, and legal issues arising in a divorce can be particularly contentious. Nearly all matters pertaining to divorce are governed by the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA). Divorce attorneys should have experience handling cases similar to yours, such as those involving complex property division, high asset divorce, contentious custody issues, or concerns about maintenance and support. But how do you pick the best attorney for you? A publication from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) provides some tips for choosing a divorce lawyer who is best for your case.
Seeking Out Particular Criteria in a Divorce Attorney in Oakbrook Terrace
To pick the best divorce attorney for your case, you should have a sense of some of the particular criteria you are looking for in an advocate. For example:
- Experience: You want to find an attorney who has experience handling a variety of divorce cases, and who also has experience handling divorces with similar legal issues to those in your case. For instance, if you know you will be going through a contentious divorce in which you and your spouse will not be able to agree to the allocation of parental responsibilities, you will want to find a lawyer who has experience handling complex child custody cases. Or, for example, if you and your spouse own a significant amount of property that will be difficult to value (or for which valuation may be contested), you should work with an attorney handling complex property division cases.
- Compatibility with your lawyer: You should always meet with an attorney and determine your compatibility with her or him. Remember, you will be working with your lawyer closely throughout your divorce, and you want to have an attorney with whom you get along and are compatible.
- Location of the attorney’s office: When you are seeking out a divorce lawyer, you may want to choose an advocate who has an office that is convenient to your home or your workplace.
- Gender, age, religion, race, and national origin: An attorney’s gender, age, religion, race, and national origin have no bearing on a lawyer’s ability, but as the AAML publication explains, some of these factors can help a client to feel more comfortable. For example, at Farooqi & Husain Law Office, we regularly assist members of the Muslim community with a wide variety of family law matters.
Asking Questions When You Meet with a Divorce Lawyer
One of the best ways to determine the above criteria is to ask questions when you meet with a divorce lawyer for an initial consultation, such as:
- How will property division work in my case?
- Will I be eligible for spousal maintenance?
- Will I need to pay spousal maintenance?
- How much spousal maintenance is likely to be awarded in my case?
- Will I work directly with a lawyer or with paralegals?
- How will I contact you during my divorce case?
- How are my legal fees calculated, and when will I owe them?
- What is your experience handling divorce cases similar to mine?
Contact a DuPage County Divorce Lawyer
At Farooqi & Husain Law Office, we are committed to providing experienced representation to members of the Muslim community in DuPage County. A dedicated DuPage County divorce attorney at our firm can speak with you today. Contact us for more information.